About Edgewater, Florida
Created on Tuesday, 29 November -0001 19:00
Edgewater, Florida is a community nestled alongside the Indian River adjacent to the famous Mosquito Lagoon. It's an Intracoastal waterfront community that offers all the charm you would expect to find in small town Florida yet still engage in spirited business and commercial activity. The growing river front city of Edgewater is one of the principal municipalities in southeast Volusia County. The city has a population over 21,500 and is also home to many species of birds, fish, dolphins, manatees and other wildlife. Edgewater roots date back to early 1800's when Dr. John Milton Hawks founded this intriguing riverside settlement. The city is over 22 square miles with over 150 acres of parks, which include a Riverwalk that is great for walking, jogging or bike riding alongside the Intracoastal Waterway.
Edgewater is home to numerous manufacturing facilities, business parks and industrial centers. Every year additional businesses and manufacturers have staked their claim here, reaping the benefits of this emerging area. Adjacent to Edgewater's ParkTowne Industrial Center, which is the largest industrial park in Volusia County, is an airport that accommodates a residential fly-in community.
With the numerous golf courses in the area, easy access to the pristine Indian River and being just minutes from Volusia County's famously clean beaches, the recreational opportunities here are innumerable.
With convenient access to Interstate 95 and Interstate 4, you'll find Edgewater is the perfect place to live, play, visit, shop and work.
City History and Demographics
- Hawks Park was founded by Dr. John Hawks in 1871
- The Town of Edgewater was incorporated in 1924
- The City of Edgewater was incorporated in 1951
- The Community Center, known as the "Council Chambers" was constructed in 1951
- The City Hall was constructed in 1959
- The City is 22.43 square miles
- Population estimate - 21,394 (2009)
- Number of registered businesses - 1,299 (number in some types of businesses within Edgewater is 588-home based,129-retail, 33-food service, 19- medical and 34 manufacturing)
- Estimated housing units - 9,806
- City Manager form of government that is directed by a Mayor and four Councilpersons
Full-Service City Serviced by 180 Dedicated Municipal Employees
- Leisure and Parks Services
- Fire and Police Services
- Water and Sewer Treatment Plants
- Utility Infrastructure Maintenance and Extensions
- Community Planning
- Budgeting and Utility Billing
- Building Plans Review and Inspection Services
- Garbage and Yard Waste pick up
- Animal Control and Sheltering
- Stormwater Maintenance
- Basic Street Maintenance
- Code Enforcement