• How do I get a recycling bin?
Call Environmental Services at 386-424-2476 and one will be delivered to you. Or you may drop by the Public Works Facility to pick one up.
• Can I have more than one bin?
You may get two bins per household. Any additional recyclable items can be placed in a separate can of similar shape or a grocery bag near or on top of your recycle bins for collection.
• What items can be recycled?
Newspapers (including inserts)
Junk Mail/Mixed Paper
Brown Paper Grocery Bags
(See Below for a listing of other items that can be recycled in other ways!)
• When is recycling collected?
Recycling will be collected once a week on one of your garbage collection days. Click here to view a map
• When should I place my recycling container to the street/curb?
Containers must be out by 7:00 a.m. the day of collection. Containers may be placed to the street/curb the evening before your regular scheduled collection day. All containers must be removed from the street area no later than 11:00 p.m. on your collection day.
• Do you collect on holidays?
In order to allow our employees an opportunity to spend holidays with their families, there are certain holidays that the City of Edgewater does not have collection services. Recycling schedules will follow the City's schedules. Holidays observed are as follows:
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Day
Day After Thanksgiving Day
• Should I remove the caps on plastic bottles?
Yes, please remove the caps from the bottle and place in bin separately. Removing the caps allows the bottles to be crushed more easily. The caps create a safety hazard during processing.
• Should I rinse out cans/bottles/jars/containers?
Yes, all containers must be rinsed out. Food will contaminate the load of recyclables.
• Do I have to flatten cardboard or cut into a certain size?
All cardboard, thin or corrugated must be flattened and placed in or under the bin. There is no need to cut the cardboard, if it is too large for the collection truck they will leave it and have another truck collect it.
• Do I need to separate junk mail/mixed paper and newspaper?
Junk mail/mixed paper MUST be placed in a paper bag. Newspapers may be placed loose in your bin.
• What is thin cardboard?
Thin cardboard is basically any type of box. Here are a few examples: cereal boxes, cracker boxes, soda boxes, hamburger helper box, tissue box, toilet tissue roll, paper towel roll, Ziploc bag box, shoe box, or from your office it will be a paper clip box, staple box, binder box, or the back of your memo pad.
• Where can I reccle other items?
Here are a few non-profit thrift stores in the area:
• Goodwill Industries, 2984 S. Ridgewood Avenue, Edgewater, FL 386-428-2939
• People for Drug Free Youth, 1431 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-423-7911
• Hospice, 720 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-426-7308
• Habitat for Humanity, 722 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-428-5010
For local consignment shops please check local yellow pages for "consignment".
• How do I arrange to have someone speak to my organization or business about recycling?
Our Environmental Services Administrator offers environmental issue presentations to homeowner associations, civic organizations, schools, churches, and staff meetings for businesses. Please contact Tyna Lynn Hilton, Environmental Services Administrator at 386-424-2494 or email: THilton@cityofedgewater.org to schedule a presentation.
• My question is not listed here, who can I call?
For further questions, please Environmental Services at 386-424-2476 or email to PublicWorks@cityofedgewater.org between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Southard Enterprises, Inc. (current recycling contractor) may be reached at 386-426-8858.