Frequently Asked Questions

City Clerk

  1. Public Records Requests - Requests for public records are submitted to the City Clerk.  The charge for single sided copies on letter size paper is $.15 per page or $.20 per page for double sided copies.  Other copies are available at varying prices dependent upon size and format.  Audio records are available at a cost dependent upon the format of the audio copy.  The public records request form can be found by clicking here
  2. How can I obtain a garage sale permit? - Garage sales can be registered free of charge online at or by visiting the cashiers located inside City Hall, there is a $5 fee for all garage sales registered in person.
  3. Where can I obtain a business license? - Business licenses, now called Business Tax Receipts, can be obtained from the Finance Department located inside City Hall.  They can be reached at 386-424-2400 ext. 1306.
  4. Where can I get a birth or death certificate? - Birth and death certificates can be obtained from the Volusia County Health Department located at 845 Holsenback Drive, Daytona Beach.  They can be reached at 386-276-0614.
  5. How can I get in contact with children and family services? - The Department of Children and Family Services is located at 210 Palmetto Street, Daytona Beach.  They can be reached at 866-762-2237.
  6. Where can I get a copy of a deed? - Deeds are filed with the Volusia County Clerk of Court.  Copies can be obtained from the New Smyrna Beach Courthouse, 124 N. Riverside Drive, New Smyrna Beach or by visiting   They can be reached at 386-423-3304.
  7. Where can I get a copy of a will? - Wills are recorded with the Probate Office in Deland.  They can be reached at 386-257-6000.
  8. Where can I get a driver’s license or identification card? - You can get your Florida driver’s license and/or Florida identification cards from the Department of Motor Vehicles located at 2986 S. Ridgewood Avenue, Edgewater (Edgewater Commons Plaza).  They can be reached at 386-423-7115.
  9. What is the number for the Better Business Bureau? - The Better Business Bureau can be reached at 407-621-3300
  10. Where can I get a marriage license? - Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Volusia County Clerk of Court, Volusia County Courthouse, Room C119, DeLand and Daytona Beach Courthouse Annex, Room 100. You can obtain more information by visiting
  11. When will Mosquito Control be spraying in my area? - Mosquito Control is managed by the County of Volusia.  More information can be obtained by or calling 386-424-2920 or on their website
  12. What is the phone number to the library? - The Edgewater Public Library is located at 103 W. Indian River Boulevard, Edgewater. They can be reached at 386-424-2916.
  13. What are the phone numbers for the local schools? - All Volusia County Public Schools are listed in the AT&T Real Yellow Pages business section under schools. You may also visit
  14. What is the phone number for unemployment? - There are no local unemployment offices in Volusia County. Unemployment can be reached online at or by calling 800-204-2418. There is a career office in Daytona Beach associated with One Stop Career Center located at 359 Bill France Boulevard, Daytona Beach. They can be reached at 386-323-7001.
  15. How do I report a streetlight that is out? - To report a street light that is out please contact FPL either by phone 1-800-4OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243) or by completing an online request form


Development Services (Planning & Zoning and Building)

  1. When is a notice of commencement required? - A notice of commencement is required when the value of the work exceeds $2,500.  In the case of repairing or replacing an existing heating or air conditioning system, a notice of commencement is required when the value of work exceeds $7,500.  (F.S. 713.13)
  2. How do I schedule an inspection? - Inspections can be scheduled by calling the inspection line at 386-424-2424.
  3. How is my property zoned? - Please contact the Planning & Zoning Division at 386-424-2400 ext. 1502 or visit their office at 139 E. Park Avenue for zoning information.
  4. Where can I find a list of current development projects within the City? - A listing of residential and commercial projects can be found on the Planning Department page of the City website.
  5. Is my property located in a flood hazard area? - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) maps delineate areas that are within flood hazard areas (areas prone to flooding) as well as areas outside the flood hazard area (Flood Zone X).  These maps are used by insurers and lenders to assist in determining if flood insurance is required for a property owner. You can determine the flood zone for your property through the FEMA Map Service Center. provides information regarding the purchase of a flood policy, risk assessments, types of flood insurance and policy costs and terms. You may also contact the Building Department to determine your properties flood zone.
  6. Do I need a permit to remove a tree from my property? - Yes, a tree removal permit is required for all specimen trees measuring 6-inches DBH (Diameter at breast height measured 4 ½ feet from the base of the tree) or larger on all property within the City limits.  A tree removal permit application may be obtained from the building department or the department’s page on the City website.
  7. How can I obtain written zoning and/or land use confirmation for a property in the City of Edgewater? - Zoning confirmation letters are available by completing a written request with the Planning Department and payment of the $50 fee (per confirmation).
  8. How do I get information on an item being heard by the Planning & Zoning Board? - The full agenda with all back-up documentation is available on the City website.

Environmental Services (including public works, refuse, streets, water & wastewater treatment)

  1. When is my garbage collected? - Your garbage is picked up twice weekly – either Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday, depending on your location.
  2. When should I place my garbage/recycling container to the street/curb? - Containers must be out by 7:00 a.m. the day of collection. Containers may be placed to the street/curb the evening before your regular scheduled collection day. All containers must be removed from the street area no later than 11:00 p.m. on your collection day.
  3. How do I get a recycling bin? - Call Environmental Services at 386-424-2476 and one will be delivered to you. Or you may drop by the Public Works Facility at 409 Mango Tree Drive to pick one up.
  4. Do you collect on holidays? - In order to allow our employees an opportunity to spend holidays with their families, there are certain holidays that the City of Edgewater does not have collection services. Recycling schedules will follow the City’s schedules. Holidays observed are as follows:
    • New Year’s Day
    • Martin Luther King Day
    • President’s Day
    • Memorial Day
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Thanksgiving Day
    • Day After Thanksgiving Day
    • Christmas Day
    During holiday weeks you will have no Wednesday collection of bagged or contained yard waste with the exception of Thanksgiving week. Please click here for the Refuse holiday schedule.
  5. When is loose yard waste picked up? - Loose yard waste is picked up all week it can take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks depending on where the truck was on their route when you put it out.
  6. When do you pick up furniture or carpeting? - Any large items like furniture, carpeting or wood (not construction debris) is picked up on Wednesdays as long as it is not a holiday week. Place out at the road where you would normally put your garbage.
  7. Where can I take paint? - Gasoline, paints, thinners/solvents, pool chemicals and similar materials cannot be placed in your garbage because they are harmful to the environment. Volusia County residents may take household hazardous waste to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Tomoka Landfill and the West Volusia Transfer Station or Paint exchange. Both the Tomoka Landfill and the West Volusia Transfer Station provides a non-commercial paint exchange facility for residents of Volusia County.
  8. When are Household Hazardous Waste Amnesty Days? - Volusia County offers more convenient locations for the disposal of household hazardous waste during Hazardous Waste Amnesty Days, usually offered in November and April each year. Several "off-landfill" sites are provided throughout the County for residents who don't live close to the permanent collection center at the Tomoka Landfill and the West Volusia Transfer Station.
  9. I am a diabetic. What do I do with my used needles? - The Volusia County Health Department provides a sharps program for users of insulin and other injected medications. Residents may drop off needles and diabetic testing strips in approved red sharps containers without charge at:
    • The Volusia County Health Department Environmental Health office at 717 W. Canal St., New Smyrna Beach (386) 424-2061.
    • Halifax Medical Center 303 N. Clyde Morris Blvd. Daytona Beach (386) 254-4169
  10. How do I get hooked up to reclaimed water? - New reclaim water connections are $650.00 you can pick up applications at City Hall.
  11. What if I need my water turned off after you are closed for an emergency? - Call 386-424-2490 for water to be shut off for after hours emergencies. Please see Environmental Services Web Pages for additional information